Westfield High School 127th Annual Graduation
18250 N UNION STREET
Westfield IN, 46074
To: 06/01/2018 01:30AM
Westfield High School graduation day!
Westfield High School
Dr. Stacy McGuire, Principal
Mr. Bill Naas, Assistant Principal Mr. Kevin Scanlon, Assistant Principal Mrs. Alicia Denniston, Assistant Principal Mrs. Ginny Smith, Assistant Principal
As the end of the school year rapidly approaches, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate both you and your son/daughter on his/her upcoming graduation. The members of the class of 2018 have worked hard to achieve this goal, and you, as parents, should be very proud of them. That being said, commencement, which is the largest event sponsored by Westfield Washington Schools, is a formal ceremony that honors the completion of 12 years of education and is cherished by participants as well as their families and friends.
I am so excited to host and honor the class of 2018 at our fourth outdoor commencement. While there are unique challenges that come with hosting an outdoor ceremony, I am confident that it will be a wonderful evening for the Class of 2018. Planning an outdoor ceremony essentially means planning for two ceremonies because we must have a back-up plan in case of inclement weather. I apologize in advance for the length of this letter, but I want to communicate both plans so you are well informed.
In preparation for the WHS Commencement Ceremony, which takes place at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 31st, the senior sponsors and WHS Administrative team developed the following expectations:
COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE – Mandatory: Wednesday, May 23rd at 11:30 a.m. in the gymnasium.
• Commencement practice is mandatory in order to participate in the ceremony, and students must be on time.
• Practice will continue until all graduates perform their roles to the satisfaction of the administration. Promptness, cooperation, and attention to instructions will allow commencement practice to conclude as quickly as possible. As we are planning for an outdoor commencement ceremony, we are anticipating approximately 3-4 hours for rehearsal. Rehearsal will begin with a pizza lunch for all seniors in the MPIF.
• Students should not make plans that will conflict with the successful completion of commencement practice.
STUDENTS IN GOOD STANDING
• In order to participate in commencement ceremonies, students must be in good standing per the Westfield Washington Schools Handbook.
• All WHS building fees (lost/damaged books, lunch, athletic, etc.) must be paid before commencement practice begins.
• Disruptive or disrespectful behavior by the seniors during the weeks prior to commencement will not be tolerated. Seniors who are disruptive or disrespectful may be excluded from the commencement ceremony or required to attend summer school in order to complete requirements for graduation.
COMMENCEMENT – CHECK IN and ATTIRE
• Seniors are to arrive at the designated area for check in no later than 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 31st dressed and ready for the commencement ceremony.
• The attire for commencement is ceremonial: dress shirt with a collar and dress pants for males, dresses or dressy pants for females. Beach sandals, flip flops, and tennis shoes are inappropriate for both males and females. Students who arrive for the commencement ceremony in inappropriate attire will be sent home to change, or, if time does not permit this change, they will be excluded from the ceremony.
• Students are NOT to decorate or change the appearance of the cap, gown or tassel. Students that do so will not be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony.
At 12:00 noon on Thursday, May 31st, the decision will be made based on weather reports if commencement will take place at Riverview Health Stadium or in the WHS Gymnasium. The decision will be communicated through Email, Twitter (@wwswhs and @MissMcguireWHS) and Facebook (facebook.com/westfieldhighschool).
• OUTDOOR COMMENCEMENT – If commencement is held at Riverview Health Stadium, the number of guests per graduate will NOT be limited, and auditorium viewing will NOT be available. The stadium will open at 5:30 p.m., and seating will be in the “home” side bleachers. Handicapped seating will be available at Riverview Health Stadium.
• INDOOR COMMENCEMENT – If commencement is held at the WHS Gymnasium, the number of guests per graduate will be limited to 4, and auditorium viewing will be available. Wristbands WILL be required (for everyone-all ages) to enter the gymnasium for the commencement ceremony. On May 31st, doors will open at 5:30 p.m. for wristband holders to enter the WHS gymnasium. Handicapped seating is available on the main gym floor on a first come first serve basis. The commencement ceremony will be televised live on a large screen in the WHS auditorium. Wristbands are NOT required for auditorium seating.
o WRISTBAND DISTRIBUTION: As we will not know until May 31st where commencement will be held, we will distribute 4 wristbands to each qualifying graduate at the end of commencement practice on May 23rd.
SENIOR RECOGNITION NIGHT – Seniors receiving scholarships and other awards will be recognized on Wednesday, May 30th at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium. We cordially invite all seniors and their families to attend and enjoy a social hour from 6:00-7:00 p.m., during which you may view the senior video and enjoy light snacks and desserts. To ensure your graduate is recognized at the awards portion of this evening, please complete the Graduation Information form no later than May 1st. This form has been sent to all seniors through Naviance, and a link is provided with this letter.
Commencement is the last time Westfield Washington Schools is able to honor seniors as a class. We urge all parents and guardians to talk with their graduates about the solemn nature of commencement, as well as the appropriate behavior that will preserve this special tradition. Every year, schools across the country experience difficulties with a few students trying to make a mockery of the commencement ceremonies. It is imperative that no student or guest does anything that would detract from the ceremony’s significance and dignity.
Again, congratulations on your accomplishments, and the best of luck to the Class of 2018! May you always be proud to be a Shamrock!
Principal, Westfield High School
If your son/daughter still needs to order a cap and gown, please call Mr. Jason Pope, the Jostens representative, at 1-317-326-2782 immediately to get them ordered.
of Year Schedule
- Friday, April 27 11:30 a.m. – 1:45 p.m. Pick up caps/gowns, WHS cafeteria
- Saturday, April 28 8:00 p.m. WHS Prom, Indiana State Museum
- May 7 to May 18 AP Exams (date determined by course)
- Wednesday, May 23 11:30 a.m. Mandatory Commencement Rehearsal 11:30 a.m. Pizza Lunch provided
• Wristbands – distributed immediately following Commencement Rehearsal
- Thursday, May 24 FINAL Exams
- Friday, May 25 FINAL Exams
- May 30 6:00 p.m. Social Hour/Senior Video, WHS Auditorium 7:00 p.m. Senior Recognition Night, WHS Auditorium
- Thursday, May 31 12:00 p.m. Commencement Location determined 5:30 p.m. Seniors report to Cafeteria for check-in 5:30 p.m. Seating for Commencement begins (Wristbands required if held in gym) 7:00 p.m. 127th WHS Commencement Ceremony (Ceremony is approximately 2 hours)
• Diploma pick up in Riverview Health Stadium or MPIF immediately following Commencement
- Checkout Westfield’s Demo Community Events Calendar
If your organization would like to use this platform to showcase your organization’s upcoming events email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how.
You must be a member of this organization in order to leave a comment!